Serves: 18 buns
- 1¼ C milk (I used whole)
- 6 Tbsp vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 3 C flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2¼ tsp active dry yeast
- Place dry ingredients in the mixer (flour, sugar, salt and yeast)
- Heat milk in a pan over medium heat.
- When it begins to simmer add in shortening until melted.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add warm milk to remaining ingredients in a stand mixer with a dough hook.
- Mix on low until dough comes away from sides of the bowl and forms a ball, about 1 minute.
- Increase speed to medium and mix until dough is smooth and springy, about 4 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let rise for about one hour.
- Punch down and form dough into 18 pieces. Shape each piece into a round bun.
- Slightly flatten each bun and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Allow buns to rise for about 30-40 minutes.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.