- 1 cup flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 C unsalted butter ( 2 sticks)
- 1⅓ C granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- Grated zest from 1 medium lemon
- 1½ C old-fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Into a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a stand mixer set on low speed, beat the butter and 1 cup sugar until creamy and light in color, 4 to 5 minutes, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary.
- On medium speed, add the lemon extract and zest and beat until blended.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, beating on low until blended.
- Add the oatmeal and beat until blended
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out some dough and roll it between your hands to form a ball (if the dough sticks to your hands, keep a bowl of cold water nearby and occasionally dip your hands in, shaking off the excess)
- Place the cookies, 2½ inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Place the reserved ⅓ cup sugar in a small bowl alongside another small bowl filled with water.
- Lightly dip the bottom of a flat glass in the water and then in sugar.
- Lightly flatten each cookie, refreshing the glass with every one or two cookies.
- Bake until the tops are just golden, about 12 minutes.
- Let the cookies firm and cool slightly on the baking sheet before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- Makes about 2½ dozen cookies