Author: LeighAnne Wilkes
Serves: 24 rolls
- ¼ cup warm water (100 degrees to 110 degrees F)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann’s® Active Dry Yeast or Rapid Rise Yeast
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup butter, cut in chunks
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5¼- 5¾ cups flour
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup lemon curd
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Combine warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add yeast; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Heat milk and butter to 100 degrees to 110 degrees F. (Butter does not need to melt).
- Add milk mixture, eggs, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour to yeast mixture.
- Beat 3 minutes with electric mixer. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes or use a dough hook in mixer.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat and cover or allow to rise, covered on the counter.
- Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about an hour. Punch dough down. Divide into 24 small balls.
- Grease 3 baking sheets.
- Roll each ball into a 15-inch rope. Loosely coil each rope into a circle, tucking ends under. Cover and let rise in warm area until light and doubled in size, about 20-30 minutes
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Uncover dough and carefully brush rolls with half of the melted butter. Make deep thumbprints in center of each roll; fill each with 1 teaspoon lemon curd.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan; brush a second time with remaining butter. Cool slightly on wire rack.
- In a small bowl, blend powdered sugar and enough lemon juice for vanilla desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm rolls.
Adapted from Fleishmann’s® Jelly Belly Rolls recipe on BreadWorld.com