- 8 slices pepper bacon, diced
- ½ C butter
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 C celery, chopped
- ½ C flour
- 4 (6oz.) cans of chopped clams or 2 C fresh clams, shucked
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 C whole milk
- ½ C half and half
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot cook bacon until browned. Drain grease.
- Add butter, onions and celery to pot and cook over medium heat until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add flour, cook 3 minutes stirring constantly
- Drain clams and reserve liquid.
- Add enough water to clam liquid to measure 2 cups.
- Add this liquid slowly to mixture in pot, stirring constantly.
- Add potatoes and bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add clams, milk, half and half.
- Heat until thickened, be careful not to burn.
- Add salt and pepper.
- If soup thickens up to much you can add additional milk