Recipe type: Main Dish
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ C fresh lime juice
- Zest of one lime
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (double that if you like spicy things)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch cubes3 ripe but firm mangoes, peeled and cut into 1½ inch cubes or fresh pineapple spears cut into 1½ inch cubes. I used about 6-7 large spears.
- Soak wooden/bamboo skewers in water for 20-30 minutes prior to using them. This will prevent them from burning on the grill.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, cayenne, salt and sugar.
- Place in a zip-lock bag and add the chicken and mangoes (pineapple), stirring gently to coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Prepare grill (or indoor grill pan)
- Remove the chicken and fruit from the marinade and thread onto skewers, alternating the pieces and dividing them evenly.
- Be sure not to smash everything together too tightly. In order for the food to cook thoroughly and evenly, it needs room! The pieces threaded on should just barely touch each other.
- Cook on grill until nicely charred and cooked through – 6-10 minutes. Serve immediately – Yum!