- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, pounded thin and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 qt. chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 C fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices of crusty artisan bread (store bought)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 whole clove of garlic
- ½ C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in 2 Tbsp. olive oil.
- Cook until just cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and saute chopped garlic, onions and red pepper flakes.
- Cook until onions are beginning to soften.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Put the chicken back in and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil and stir.
- While soup is cooking, drizzle the sliced bread with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet under the broiler in the oven and toast until lightly golden.
- Watch closely. Remove from oven and rub each slice with the whole clove of garlic.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Place back under broiler for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Place one slice of toast in bottom of bowl and pour soup over the top. Add a second toast on top. Enjoy!