- 2 C cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ C unsalted butter, softened
- 1 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 C buttermilk
- ½ C water
- ½ C sugar
- Whipped cream:
- 2 C heavy whipping cream
- ½ C powdered sugar
- Turn oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch spring form pan with non-stick spray.
- Line the bottom with a 9 inch round of parchment paper. Spray the paper.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside. In a another medium bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk ending with flour.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake until golden, about 40-45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 20 minutes.
- With the cake still in the pan, poke holes all over the top with a toothpick or bamboo skewer. Slowly and evenly pour the simple syrup over the top of the cake.
- Let cake sit for an additional 20 minutes to be sure all the syrup gets soaked in.
- Remove cake from pan and invert onto a cake plate.
- Spread whipped cream all over the tops and sides of the cake. Refrigerate until serving time.
For the simple syrup:
- In a small saucepan over high heat, combine water and sugar. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Sugar should be dissolved. Pour clear syrup into a small pitcher and set aside to cool completely.
For the whipped cream:
- In a large bowl, pour in heavy cream. With mixer on medium high, beat cream until frothy.Add in powdered sugar and continue to beat until cream is thickened and holds a stiff peak. Spread whipped cream around the sides and on top of the cake. Keep refrigerated until serving.