Author: Leigh Anne Wilkes
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2 lb. chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 8 oz. chorizo sausage (no casings)
- 1 C chopped onion
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, (canned) Seed and dice pepper (you will have leftover peppers)
- 1½ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- sliced jalapenos, red onion and tortillas
- rice, optional
- Salt and pepper beef and add oil to a heavy pan or dutch oven. Heat over medium high heat.
- Add meat and sear or brown on each side.
- Add enough water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil and then simmer, partially covered for about 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Remove from liquid but reserve 1½ cups. Cool meat until you are able to slice it into small, thin pieces.
- In the same pan cook the sausage, onion and garlic until browned.
- Drain sausage on paper towel or place in collander and run water over it to remove the grease.
- Add drained sausage and beef back into pan.
- Add reserved liquid, tomatoes, chipotle peppers, oregano and cumin.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Serve on tortillas with sliced jalapenos and red onion. Can also be served with rice.
recipe adapted from BHG.com